News on our policy work
HEAL welcomes the prominence given to improving health in the 7th EU Environment Action Programme including a focus to reduce asthma and allergies related to indoor air pollutants and reducing exposure to harmful chemicals such as endocrine disrupting chemicals. Read more…
The fourth meeting of the European Environment and Health Ministerial Board in Belgrade concluded that urgent action is needed in Europe to tackle environmental health hazards including air pollution, asbestos, mercury, unsafe water and poor sanitation. Read more…
HEAL was pleased to co-host the first in a series of Partnership Calls by the US Collaborative on Health and the Environment (CHE) focusing on recent EEA findings on Late Lessons from Early Warnings. Discussions started with how to learn from historical cases of environment and health disasters, followed by addressed case studies on hazardous chemicals. Read more…
Ed Brown’s documentary film ‘Unacceptable Levels’ has been accepted into 17 international film festivals thanks to the success of winning the first ever film prize on health and environment at the 30th International Environmental Film Festival earlier this year. Read more…
Rights to water campaign: Water and sanitation are a human right!
Citizens are inviting the EC to propose legislation implementing the human right to water and sanitation as recognised by the UN, and promoting the provision of water and sanitation as essential public services for all. More information and to sign the petition here
European Citizen´s Initiative "30kmh – making streets liveable!"
European citizens are calling on the EU to introduce 30kmh as the standard speed limits for villages, towns and cities with local authorities being able to decide on exemptions. The initiative aims to receive 1 million European signatures by November. More information here.
Join the debate
We have an active and growing mailing group on opportunities for environmental prevention of cancer. Sign up by contacting us.
Read HEAL’s study on the EU Environment and Health Action Plan (EHAP): Assessment and Outlook for future action commissioned at the request of the Belgian Federal Minister in charge of Environment.
- 15 – Brussels, Belgium: EPHECT Stakeholders meeting on chemicals in consumer products and indoor air quality - Registration closes on 14 May. Register and download the full programme here
- 16 – Brussels, Belgium: EP event - Can EU citizens afford their medicines? The economic crisis and access to medicines in Europe
To attend, please register before 5 May here
- 4 - 7 – Brussels, Belgium: EU Green Week: Cleaner air for all
For more information and to register click here
- 5 – HEAL at Green Week: Session 3.4 and Session 5.1.
- 5 - World Environment Day
World Environment Day run by UNEP, aims to raise global awareness of the need to take positive environmental action. More information here
- 24 – 25 - Brussels, Belgium: European Citizen’s Summit - First ever citizen’s summit. Express your interest here before 14 May
- 20-23 – Basel, Switzerland: ISES-ISEE-ISIAQ 2013: Environment and Health – Bridging North, South, East and West
More information here
- 22 – Jerusalem, Israel: 7th International Conference on Children’s Health and the Environment - More information here