Our broad membership allows us to pool expertise on our policy issues and widely disseminate information. We regularly hold policy co-ordination meetings and consult on policy positions with our members. HEAL members also contribute to our e-working groups on our core policy issues (environment & health, chemicals, pesticides, climate change, air quality, mercury, human biomonitoring, shale gas fracturing (known as fracking) , children’s’ environment and health and others).
In addition, members meet at least once a year for the Annual General Assembly (AGA) to review activities, discuss HEAL’s strategic aims and work plan, and approve the budget and membership applications. More details here.
Membership is open to organisations within the European Union. However, recently we have created new opportunities for organisations outside Europe and individual professionals to take part in HEAL’s work. This allows us to expand our expertise and share best practice. While international organisations and individual supporters may not enjoy the rights that EU organisations have (they may not vote on decisions at the AGA), they are part of a group that will help strengthen the call for a healthier environment.
What HEAL can do for you:
- Ensure that your organisation is part of the independent voice on health and environmental issues in Europe
- Keep you informed about what is going on in environment and health
- Create opportunities to build networks and coalitions
- Showcase the work of your organisation on the European stage.
To be eligible for membership, your organisation must:
- be legally constituted pursuant to the laws and customs of your country of origin;
- have no profit-making purpose;
- be independent of governments, political parties and commercial interests, and
- support the Health and Environment Alliance’s mission statement.
Membership requests are screened and provisionally approved by HEAL Executive Committee before being formally adopted during the HEAL AGA.
To join, please download the appropriate form below and send it back to us at firstname.lastname@example.org.