Health groups call on the leaders of the Western Balkan countries to harmonize national air quality standards with the World Health Organization Global air quality guidelines. Health experts should be actively involved in these decision-making processes to ensure the timely integration of public health measures into environmental policies. Compliance with WHO recommendations brings multiple benefits – reduced incidence of chronic diseases and premature deaths, reduced overall health costs and, most importantly, better health and higher productivity of people.
Virtual, public event – moderated by Tamsin Rose. Tuesday, 19 October 2021, 14.00 – 15.30 CET
Pollution harms our health and the environment. It is the largest environmental cause of multiple, often chronic diseases and of early death. Groups most vulnerable are for example children, the elderly and those already ill. According to the latest figures from the World Health Organization and the EEA, one in eight deaths in the EU are attributable to the environment.
The EU Zero Pollution Action Plan, launched May 2021, has the potential to reduce pollution and create a toxic-free environment in the European Union. But concrete action to realise this goal is urgently needed.
The Health and Environment Alliance (HEAL) warmly invites you to join the opening event of our 2021 virtual Members Meeting, during which voices from affected communities and vulnerable groups will testify on the need for better health protection in the EU. Get ready for an exciting panel debate with testimonies from:
- Moms against PFAS – Dr. Laura Facciolo, mother and scientific advisor of the Mamme No PFAS group, Veneto, Italy
- Dutch Longfonds and European Federation of Allergy and Airways Diseases Patients’ Associations (EFA) – Dr. Anne Leendertse
- Ella Roberta Family Foundation – Rosamund Kissi-Debra, video (UK)
- Human rights, children’s rights – Baskut Tuncak, former UN Special Rapporteur on toxics and human rights, Common Rights
- Health and Environment Alliance (HEAL) – Genon Jensen, Executive Director
For more information, contact email@example.com.