Managing Small Mercury Spills
"Even a small quantity of mercury can lead to mercury poisoning, particularly in children."
Health and Safety Guidance to Minimise Health Risks of Mercury Spills
Mercury can be found in a variety of medical devices. Because it is a powerful neurotoxin, great care must be taken to protect people from spills. The UK Medicinal Healthcare Products Regulatory Agency (MHRA) recommends that, in order to prevent exposure, mercury-free alternative devices should be used wherever possible. Where mercury devices are in use, the agency recommends the maintenance of health and safety measures to deal effectively with spills.
Read on in the report.
Last updated on 14 June 2011
- Managing Small Mercury Spills (PDF – 212.6 kb)