Call for Tender - Consultant on Energy & Health, Turkey
The Health & Environment Alliance (HEAL) currently carries out educational and advocacy work to raise awareness of the health impacts of energy production, particularly coal power generation. In our activities, we work closely with health and medical groups, especially in countries where coal is a particular threat to health.
We’re looking for an enthusiastic and outgoing professional to support our ongoing capacity building and engagement of health groups and other stakeholders in Turkey. This work builds on HEAL’s report “The Unpaid Health Bill in Turkey”, which quantifies the health economic cost of existing coal power plants in the country, and was published in May 2015.
HEAL is a leading European not-for-profit organisation addressing how the environment affects health in the European Union. Our alliance brings together over 70 member organisations, representing health professionals, not-for-profit health insurers, doctors, nurses, cancer and asthma groups, citizens, women’s groups, youth groups, environmental NGOs, scientists and public health institutes. Members include international and Europe-wide organisations, as well as national and local groups.
Interested applicants must fulfil all of the following criteria:
- University degree in public health, health economics or environment/energy
- Five to ten years relevant professional experience
- Native level Turkish, excellent written and spoken English
- Only candidates that work exclusively within the non-profit sector will be considered to avoid potential conflict of interests with clients representing commercial interests.
We’re looking for someone with:
- Understanding of the health arguments and evidence and ability to quickly synthesize this information for various stakeholders in Turkey and beyond
- Excellent communication, writing, and presentation skills
- Excellent interpersonal skills, self-starter, flexibility and reliability
- Willingness to travel
Responsibilities will include:
- Provide health evidence and messaging for local and regional health experts and groups engaged to prevent new coal power plants
- Carry out outreach and build up networks with health groups and other stakeholders in Turkey, including the Ministry of Health
- Organise regional meetings, workshops and webinars (free online-based events)
- Write articles for Turkish specialized health journals and give presentations at key health conferences
The contract will be awarded for work carried out between March – December 2016. The candidate should be based in Turkey (Istanbul or Ankara), working closely with HEAL’s Deputy Director in Brussels.
To apply, please send a letter of motivation and CV with the subject heading “Application Consultant Turkey” to Anne Stauffer, email: firstname.lastname@example.org. Please include your daily rate in EUR, and when you would be able to start. The letter of motivation should detail why you are interested in the call, why you want to work for a public interest environmental health organization and how your skills and experience are relevant to the job.
Please note only short listed candidates will be contacted.
For any questions please contact Anne Stauffer, Deputy Director: +32 2 234 3643