The Health & Environment Alliance (HEAL) is recruiting a highly qualified scientist on Endocrine Disrupting Chemicals (EDCs) as consultant to provide expertise at the European Chemicals Agency and to assist HEAL on varied related technical submissions.
Call for Tender - Endocrine Disruption Expert
We’re looking for a scientist who is highly qualified in Endocrine Disruption research, and is available to attend meetings three times per year in Helsinki, and for other occasional work, such as inputs to public consultations or attending other EU related meetings.
HEAL holds an observer seat on the Endocrine Disruptor Expert Group of the European Chemicals Agency. This group provides advice on Endocrine Disruptors to the Member State Committee of the EU REACH industrial chemicals management system and to the Biocides Products Committee of the EU Biocides regulatory system.
The scientific expert occupying the HEAL seat is there on behalf of HEAL but is at liberty to transmit his/her professional views.
The successful candidate will coordinate with and report to HEAL’s senior policy advisor for chemicals. The HEAL Senior Policy Advisor on Chemicals provides the expert any contextual information as needed about the REACH system, or other regulatory or procedural issues related to the deliberations.
Only candidates who work exclusively with the non-profit sector will be considered, in order to avoid potential conflict of interests with other clients/employers representing commercial interests.
Interested applicants must fulfil all of the following criteria:
- Advanced degree in one of the disciplines active in endocrine disruption research
- Expertise and experience in assessing ED properties of chemical substances
- Good track record of publications / of keeping up to date with recent research
- Good familiarity with testing requirements in EU legislation is helpful
- Previous experience with EU advisory groups / fora helpful
- Excellent written and spoken English
Responsibilities will include:
- Attending approximately 3 meetings of one day per year in Helsinki, and participating actively in discussions on scientific questions on the identification of ED properties.
- Providing written submissions of points including references made at the meetings, or covering additional issues raised, to members of the Expert Group.
- Coordinating with HEAL on meeting participation, including providing written reports to HEAL of the meetings.
- Attending occasional technical meetings in Brussels or elsewhere, related to better identification of Endocrine Disrupting effects.
The contract will be awarded for work carried out starting September 2015, for about 6-8 days a year.
To apply, please send your letter of motivation and CV in English with the subject “Application Endocrine Disruption Expert” to email@example.com
The letter of motivation should detail how your skills and experience are relevant to the job, and your daily rate.
For any questions please contact firstname.lastname@example.org
More information about the expert group is available here: http://www.echa.europa.eu/web/guest/addressing-chemicals-of-concern/substances-of-potential-concern/endocrine-disruptor-expert-group
More information about HEAL is here: http://www.env-health.org/about-us/